Sunday 22 April 2007

De Stijl (Style) Modern Art Gallery. Amsterdam

The De Stijl Gallery situated in Amsterdam in many ways depicts the contiuum of art since those early days Golden Age years of Dutch Art. In 1917 the influential movement in art, architecture and design in the Netherlands was behind the creation of this art gallery. Some of the Founders of the Gallery of the De Stijl, notably were Piet Modrian and Theo van Doesburgh .

The main idea of these founders were to bring art and design together in a single coherent,simplified system,i.e. to simplify art into pure abstraction via forms of rectangles,geometric shapes and primary colours of black and white.
I visited the De Stijl Gallery in 2005. The Gallery is situated in what I would describe as an industrial-looking area of Amsterdam and the building is quite simply built with large "warehouse-looking" rooms,quite maze-like. The collection of art is very inspiring and mostly colourful and hopefully I will be able to revisit in the not too distant future. For me it is an important gallery to visit because of its links to the development of modern art and design.

1 comment:

FionaHunter-Boyd said...

Hi! Biby,Thank-you so much for your comments...it is so nice to hear my efforts are appreciated.
I am still very much a beginner with the blog and have to be very attentive in my attempts to arrange my blog contents into some coherent form. I feel very much encouraged by your comments, Thank-you again.